Monday, November 30, 2009

Interfacing Globe Tattoo's HSDPA Modem to Hyperterminal

I have a project wherein I need a GSM Modem to be interfaced with my Computer and do some data gathering. AND I need a low cost solution because GSM Modems are really expensive. Then, I saw my sister's Huawei Globe Tattoo and asked myself if it can communicate with AT command. I immediately performed some basic experiments (sending and receive SMS) and it worked! I was able to quickly communicate with it using Hyperterminal and was able to create my first program with it using Visual C#. It was really a big cost saving!

I would like to share the procedure on how to interface Globe Tattoo's HSDPA Modem Hyperterminal:

1. Go to device manager and check for the Com number of the USB Modem.




2. Open hyperterminal and connect to the Com Port indicated on the Device Manager.




3. On Port Settings, click ok.



4. Go to File>Properties>Settings>Ascii Setup... Check "echo typed characters locally."



5. Issue AT Commands!



Advantage:

1. cheap alternative to RS232 GSM Modems (my sister bought the USB Modem for 1,900+Pesos. As of this writing, the price is around 800+pesos only)
2. USB Interface, no external power needed

One disadvantage is the difficulty to be interfaced with microcontrollers where I recommend using a TTL/RS-232 GSM modems like this very good GSM kit from E-Gizmo  Link .

This is a low-cost solution for students who needs SMS capability for their thesis (PC-based projects).

3 comments:

  1. hi sevenstring.. can i ask more about AT commands?
    what is the commands on how to delete,send, and read?? thanks.. :) I always see you in elctronicslab.ph forum.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sir good day poh... i'm really interrsted to know about AT commands po talaga... kailanganan ko sa thesis ko na may sms grade inquiry system using vb.net, i want to use globe tattoo as the GSM modem po para dito, heto po email add ko poh, para.incomeko@gmail.com i can't find your email from this page poh, sana po magreply po kayo sa message ko and let me know if you could help me poh... thanx in advance poh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for the very late reply. this tool may help lalo na pag nagtetesting kayo ng sequence ng AT commands: http://sevenstring7.blogspot.sg/2010/08/at-command-processor-enhanced-and.html

    ReplyDelete