Monday, November 30, 2009

Wireless Controller Firmware Mod

Here is a Long-Range Wireless Controller from China bought by my friend Jay. This is mainly used for Pyro Shows (but I have other plans for it in the future). The package includes a Transmitter and a Receiver:



This features 8 Momentary and 4 Latch Setting for the 12 relays. I was requested to use the existing board and create a customized program for the PIC16F57 built into it. The program must have the following features:
1. manual mode
2. 32 cues sequencer mode
3. step firing mode

I quickly checked the datasheet of the ICs used (PT2272 and PIC16F57) to be able to reverse engineer and create a schematic out of the PCB connection traces. (The schematic is still written on paper, but I have plans to create an Eagle Schematic for it). After the schematic was drawn, I notice a jumper. It was connected on the RB0 of the PIC and I decided to use this jumper to switch from manual to sequencer mode.



Fast-forwarding the development phase of the firmware development for the PIC16F57, I was able to finish it quickly. The firmware was written from scratch and I was able to replicate the old feature + (PLUS!) the new features that was requested to me.

The PIC's oscillator clock source was changed as well to be able to accomodate a very accurate timing increment. And here is the completed board (with test LEDs):



Here is a video demonstration of the manual mode. Then I removed the jumper, power off, power on, then pressed a button to demonstrate the sequencer mode (this is the Firmware (FW) version 00.08.00).
http://img4.imageshack.us/i/moviei.mp4/

Here is another sequencer mode with LEDs (FW revision 00.08.08).
http://img214.imageshack.us/i/movie0001.mp4/

And this is the final version with Step Firing Mode (FW revision 00.08.09 - the version as of this writing)
http://img37.imageshack.us/i/moviev.mp4/

As for the conclusion of the project:
1. The board has now more features than it was before.
2. Sequencer mode and the Step Firing mode works very well (with 40msec holding for relays)

This is just a start, as I have more ideas for this board... :)

Update as of Dec. 4, 2009:
Deadman's Switch was added on the sequencer mode. Current version is 00.08.10.

No comments:

Post a Comment